12.11.2011

Soft Gingerbread Cookies

{the essence of Christmas foods}
Sometimes when the outside world, looks like this:
  This is for real... probably shouldn't be taking pictures and driving at the same time in 6 inches of snow, but whatever... I lived.

... the first thing that comes to my mind is Christmas. And with Christmas, comes baking. Specifically gingerbread cookies. This was my first time making them from scratch. I was pretty impressed- me and cookies usually don't get along very well, but these were easy and relatively fool proof. Me likey! They were absolutely delish and super soft. My husby took them to work, and everyone requested more. I'll allow it!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 1/2 cups flour

Directions: 
In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. 
Beat in molasses, egg and vinegar [enter elementary school memories of your science fair volcano explosion here] [get it... baking soda and vinegar...] beat until combined and note the the bubbly-ness that occurs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can, and stir in the remainder until combined.
Cover and chill dough in the fridge for 3 hours or until firm and easy to handle.
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a cookie sheet, set aside.  
On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into shapes and place on cookie sheet.

Bake for 5-6 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Cool on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire wrack. 
Here's the best part... DECORATING! Use basic powdered sugar icing to pipe and color (if desired) to decorate however you want! Go nuts!
A little Red Sox pride here... I couldn't help it!
Happy Holiday Baking!
  

2 comments:

  1. MMMMM! I love that you posted this. Just a couple of days I was craving these. I haven't had much time to bake so I bought some crappy hard ones from the store. These look absolutely delightful! I will have to try them when I get a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kels, those look amazing! I must say I am very impressed with your decorating skills!

    ReplyDelete

Pin it!